Thursday, May 11, 2006

Rainy day

It's been raining all day. Now, I really like these days. No, wait. That's not quite right. I learned to like these days after reminding myself that I wasn't in Santa Fe anymore. An all-day rain would make me nervous, because in Santa Fe that meant that all the main roads would be flooded, and getting home from anywhere (which, since I didn't have a car back then, always involved some walking) meant a huge hassle. And lots of flash flood warnings.

In Wheaton, however, this is not the case. So I love the rainy days. (Ouch. I've got a song running through my head. There's one that goes "I love the rainy nights" or something ... I always heard it when I was little riding in the car with my dad, who would listen to "secular" music. Now I'm gonna have to Itunes it to find out who it's by.)

What was I saying? Yes. Rain. Is good. Is fun. Sometimes involves flooding on Wheaton campus -- remember when we went wading in the Edman parking lot, AndreaW (if you're online, that is)? That was so much fun! Even after Public Safety came and told us to get out of the raw sewage!

But back to the rain. Me: all sorts of happiness. Customers: very, very cranky. Grown-ups need more naps, less coffee. I've come to the conclusion that my nerves can handle just about any child's breakdown: it's the adults' that I can't stand. It turns into psychological warfare, where anything they perceive as wrong is my fault.

All the more reason for why I shall never grow up. It's not good for the public, having one more snippy tall person every time it rains.

Instead, I shall look outside and think, "I need a cat."

1 comment:

Neb said...

The rain is happiness. Drinking coffee while watching the rain is happiness. Napping while watching the rain is happiness. However, the coffee, nap, and rain don't go together so much. I've tried sleeping with my coffee, and it doesn't work.