Tuesday, October 31, 2006

More book assignments

While I generally agree with Chris' comment (see comments to post below), at least in regards to some of the fluffier fiction, it's not always that easy to designate lit as "easy" and "hard." I find Austen difficult to read (at least on little sleep), but that mostly has to do with the simple mechanics of understanding a vocabulary and syntax that are chronologically foreign to my own. The deeper meanings I generally ferret out on later reflection -- just the way I think.

But then read Jennifer Weiner (another unfortunate name) -- anything will do, I prefer some of her other work to In Her Shoes, but just about every library should have that title on its shelves.

I think every woman should read I Don't Know How She Does It, by Allison Pearson -- and then make their consorts read it as well. There's nothing new to puzzle over, but it encapsulates the biological clock vs. career issue heartbreakingly well.

All I'm getting at is that some (and these could be exceptions) Chick Lit contains uncanny self-awareness and surprising social commentary -- in short, hidden depths.

But for now I'm going to go eat chocolate and read The Little Lady Agency by Hester Browne. For the record, it's just fun. And contains blonde wigs.

No comments: