Friday, April 20, 2007

List of Squirrelisms

Strange Things Kermit Does:

  • Yesterday I rigged up a cotton rope across his cage, just to see what he'd do with it. He took it down and stuffed it in his nesting box. Actually, only one end is in there -- the other end is still kinda-sorta rigged up, so he's got a zip line.
  • Every morning, there is some fluff in his food dish. I take it out, refill the food dish, the next morning there is a new bit of fluff in there. Same with the water dish.
  • Usually the only way to get Kerm back in his cage is to give him an almond (he's got to do something with it). He usually takes it running in his wheel with him. This thing is half the size of his head. Sometimes, just to switch things up, he'll bury the almond in some newspaper, go running, then fetch the almond for another bout of running. So this is a deliberate thing, not an "I forgot to stash my almond" thing.
  • He has stopped leaving snap pea skins around. They instead go in his Shrine. It's that blue thing I've got a picture of him in earlier. In it go all his whole nuts that he doesn't want to eat yet and all food detritus. I'd been thinking that he'd been emptying his food dish every night, then I looked in the Shrine. It's packed. At least he's tidy.

2 comments:

Nate said...

What exactly is the fluff?

Alysia said...

The "fluff" is mostly deconstructed cotton balls, i.e. the soft contents of his nesting box. I never know what exactly he has in there until I clean out the cage. Then I generally find lots of cotton (I provide run-of-the-mill cotton balls, he takes 'em and processes them), newspaper scraps, bits of rope and bark, and generally a whole pecan or two in the bottom.