Thursday, March 30, 2006

Crazy Thursday

It's a Thursday. This translates into "put Meesh on a register for four-plus hours straight and leave her there." I've finally come to understand that this, indeed, is just Thursday. So fine. New game plan.

Put hair in pigtails (note to old roommates: hair is now in pigtails). Tie a complimentary Trader Joe's balloon to each pigtail. Proceed with Thursday.

Result: it actually did help the day get along better. Granted, I did first rip a contact, then find that my car's battery died (my fault) and I couldn't get home until I borrowed a coworker's car, only to find that I'm out of contacts and thus had to wear my headache-inducing, away-with-the-peripheral-vision glasses. But I made grown men in suits laugh, and that's a hard thing to do.

But the best thing was the kids. Some were afraid to let me know that I had balloons on my head. So they whispered to their mommies. Some got up the guts to ask me why I had balloons on my head. Favorite answers:

"Because it's Thursday."
"Well, why don't you have balloons on your head?"
"Some days, you just need balloons on your head."

Note that answers one and three made the most sense to kids. With either answer, the response was a grin and a nod -- especially to number three. Number two resulted in some confusion. Why, indeed, were they not wearing balloons? Then we generally tried to remedy that omission.

"It must be a Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays."
-- Arthur Dent, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

No comments: